PDA

View Full Version : Target document has different depth than source document?

amyb
05-28-2007, 11:11 AM
I keep getting this message every time I move pictures onto different pages? What does this mean? Do I need to change some settings?

Once again... confused!

:confused:

troush
05-28-2007, 11:52 AM
I'll make 2 guesses. The first is that your PPI is different between the two images. Say your camera sets the default to 180 ppi, but you open a new doc at 300 - so they're different. It really doesn't affect anything.

The second would be the color settings of one document is different than the other. Perhaps you are working at 16 bits in one and 8 bits in the other.

But, I'm not a PS user... ;)

-Trish

MidnightChardonnay
05-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Hi Amy

This error message means that the RGB bit depth of the two images is not the same. For example, one image is 8 bit and the other is 16 bit.

If you look at the very top of one of the pictures where its title is you will see somthing like "Rose.bmp @ 50% (RGB/8)". RGB/8 means that you have an 8 bit image. The other picture will have something like "RGB/16" after its title.

The bit depth of both pictures must be the same. Let's say you want to change to 16 bit one to 8 bit - this is how you do it.

Select the 16 bit image and then go to to the Image/Mode menu and click on the 8Bits/Channel option. Your page will now be converted to 8 bits and you will be able to move the other picture over to it.

When you create a new image there is an option to set the bit value on the window where you define the page size etc. The default is 8 bits which is what I always use.

Hope this helps :)

MidnightChardonnay
05-28-2007, 11:56 AM
I'll make 2 guesses. The first is that your PPI is different between the two images. Say your camera sets the default to 180 ppi, but you open a new doc at 300 - so they're different. It really doesn't affect anything.

The second would be the color settings of one document is different than the other. Perhaps you are working at 16 bits in one and 8 bits in the other.

But, I'm not a PS user... ;)

-Trish

Hi Trish

You guessed right with number two :)

From what I can see Elements only allows 8 bit depth.

troush
05-28-2007, 01:28 PM
PSE does allow VERY limited stuff at 16 bit (I think cropping...).

-Trish

amyb
05-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Hi Amy

This error message means that the RGB bit depth of the two images is not the same. For example, one image is 8 bit and the other is 16 bit.

If you look at the very top of one of the pictures where its title is you will see somthing like "Rose.bmp @ 50% (RGB/8)". RGB/8 means that you have an 8 bit image. The other picture will have something like "RGB/16" after its title.

The bit depth of both pictures must be the same. Let's say you want to change to 16 bit one to 8 bit - this is how you do it.

Select the 16 bit image and then go to to the Image/Mode menu and click on the 8Bits/Channel option. Your page will now be converted to 8 bits and you will be able to move the other picture over to it.

When you create a new image there is an option to set the bit value on the window where you define the page size etc. The default is 8 bits which is what I always use.

Thanks David - which would you suggest...8 or 16?

Priss
05-29-2007, 07:53 AM
I suggest 8.

ryan b
09-04-2014, 08:45 AM
Hi Amy

That's exactly what I needed. Thanks for your help!