PDA

View Full Version : how to add actions in PSE 8

joyfuljanet
12-12-2009, 05:50 PM
In one of the monthly downloads there was an action als.atn to install. I know what to do with brushes but not actions. Help!!

Wendy
12-13-2009, 02:09 AM
Hi Janet ...

I just did a quick search and can't find the action ... which monthly download was it in ?

Wendy

dmrdm
12-13-2009, 07:26 AM
Wendy, There is one in the April kit in the 45-flower-03 file, called Scrapper's Guide Flower Petals. There is a word doc titled How To Load Actions in that same folder for PS anyway. Assume there is one for Elements-I don't know if installing Actions in 7 is different for 8.

I don't know if that is the atn joyfuljanet is trying to install.

While I did not find anything under How To....I searched and found this thread for Mac for 8:

http://www.scrappersguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4416&highlight=actions

joyfuljanet
12-13-2009, 07:40 AM
Right on, I went to the PSE 8 help and finally understood how to install it and put it in and it was called flower petals. I have not tried it yet, but will open a photo and see what happens. I have never used that part of PSE 8 before, charting new territories. Thank you for the help and direction and encouragement to figure it out so far. Janet

dmrdm
12-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Sounds good.....good luck...hope it works.

joyfuljanet
12-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Well it did not work so thanks to dmrdm I knew where it came from and I went back and read up on it and it was for PSE 7 or Photoshop. I wonder if it could be changed to work with PSE 8 now that it has action player in the Mac version.

dmrdm
12-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Oh sorry about that, I thought the link I showed was where Wendy explained how to use it in 8 in the action player.

joyfuljanet
12-13-2009, 11:40 AM
I was too quick and thought it was the Adobe help link. I opened Wendy's suggestion but now I am totally confused because when you get to the point of application support/adobe/PSE8/ there is only a presets file and nothings called photo creations. I also do not know how to create all the files she states so I will study this all later and see if I can make sense out of it.

Wendy
12-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Hi Janet ...

You are in the wrong place ... it sounds like you are in the PSE8 Elements software folder in Applications.

You need to go to the top level of your computer and find Library (its on the same level as applications) ... then follow the path Library\Application Support\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\8.0\Photo Creations

You should find it there OK :)

Wendy
PS ... Its worth trying to install it ... but a lot of Photoshop Actions do not work in Elements :(

joyfuljanet
12-13-2009, 05:06 PM
I was gong thru home and not the HD. Ok I found it but now how do I create those other files you said had to be put in there, a png and a xml file. When you say put them in photo creations you mean in the file called photocreation and it will know where to put it.

Once I learn the next part then I will be back to under stand the renaming of the mediadatabase. I will stick with it but I am slow, so please stick with me.

Janet

rabrightman
12-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Happy Holidays to all!

landorasue
12-17-2009, 04:47 PM
I would really be interested in knowing how to use Actions in PSE 8. I just purchased PSE 8; switching from PS to Elements due to the high cost of PS. I will miss using Actions. So if it's possible to use Actions in PSE 8, I'd love to how!

Wendy
12-18-2009, 01:26 AM
Hi Lana ...

Well you an use actions in PSE8 but its not as simple as using them in PS ... also a lot of PS actions wont work in Elements because Elements doesn't have all the commands etc that PS does.

Generally speaking the more complex the action and the less likely it is to work ... so you are best getting actions specifically written for Elements. Panos has some good ones, they are written for Elements and he includes full details of how to install them in the different versions :)

Hope that helps :)

Wendy

landorasue
12-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks, Wendy. I'll have to look into this.

Erin
12-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Hi Everyone,

You can definitely run actions in PSE8, and there are a surprising number of actions being designed lately that are Elements compatible. The instructions for installing them are too long to copy here, but I pasted a link below from my website. There are also other links to info that will help you get started using actions.

I have instructions on installing and using actions in PSE (including PSE 8) on my website, Texas Chicks Blogs and Pics, plus lots of sources for free and not-free actions that are PSE compatible.

Instructions for Installing Actions
texaschicksblogsandpics.com/photography-page/installing-actions-in-photoshop-elements/

Texas Chicks Free and For Sale Actions for PSE
texaschicksblogsandpics.com/free-actions-for-photoshop-elements/

Other Actions for PSE
texaschicksblogsandpics.com/photography-page/best-resources/

Tutorial on Using Actions
texaschicksblogsandpics.com/coffeeshop-powderroom-2-action-tutorial-introduction/

12 Tips for Conquering Photoshop Actions
simplescrapper.com/2009/09/09/12-tips-for-conquering-photoshop-actions/

Looks like I need to change some settings in my CP to be able to post url links. Sorry about that!

Let me know if you have questions!
Erin

landorasue
12-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Erin, thank you for all this information on PSE Actions. The instructions for installing Actions in PSE sound a little scary to me if the Actions don't show up in Photo Effects (renaming the databases!). I know I would not feel comfortable doing this. Have a lot of you out there tried using Actions in PSE? Does it ever mess up your PSE?

Wendy
12-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Hi Lana ...

I have installed lots of actions into most of the versions of Elements ... when you trash (or rename the database) all you are doing is forcing Elements to create a new database ... when it does that it goes through all the items and adds then all into the database.

So your new actions go in there too :)

Occasionally it does screw up Elements ... usually when you do something wrong or the actions are not compatible. But fixing that is really easy ... you just remove them and trash the Mediadatabase file again :)

Wendy

landorasue
12-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi Lana ...

I have installed lots of actions into most of the versions of Elements ... when you trash (or rename the database) all you are doing is forcing Elements to create a new database ... when it does that it goes through all the items and adds then all into the database.

So your new actions go in there too :)

Occasionally it does screw up Elements ... usually when you do something wrong or the actions are not compatible. But fixing that is really easy ... you just remove them and trash the Mediadatabase file again :)

Wendy

So, Wendy, each time you add a new Action, do you have to rename or trash the previous database?

Wendy
12-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi Lana ...

Yes you do ... its just to get the actions to show up :)

Wendy