Digital Scrapper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A fast way to make your own ribbon.

Here is a link to my "home made" ribbon. When you are stuck for a ribbon embellishment this is a really quick way to make a matching ribbon. Open a new document 12" wide x .5" high. Duplicate the layer (very important). On this new layer, click and drag an outline of your ribbon with the rectangular marquee tool 12" wide and 2.5" high in the centre so that you have 1/8" top and bottom. Choose a light and dark shade of the colours you want from the colour picker but make sure there is plenty of contrast. Go to Filter, Render, Clouds. This fills the ribbon with a varigated pattern. Deselect. Choose a darker or contrasting colour from the colour picker and choose Edit, stroke. 10 pixels will give you a nice selvage edge. You can then lower the opacity to give a sheer looking ribbon if desired or use texturizer to create more interest. I used the Liquify tool to pucker the centre of the ribbon and then made a brad to go over the top. You can also use a custom shadow to give the ribbon further dimension.

Susie
    Art Director/Video Instructor
    PS CS6 & Elements 11. Mac 10.6.8, Firefox
    My Store - Designs by Susie Roberts
    My Blog
    My Gallery

Muppet - thanks for the instructions. I will be adding this one to my notes.

Another thing to add to your instructions would be if you want your ribbon to be able to go corner to corner on a 12" x 12" layout than make your new document 16" wide x .5 tall. This way you know that your ribbon will be long enough. It can always be crop down to 12" wide. I had read this somewhere on the Internet - gosh not sure when or where. Thanks again.
    Penny
    Albuquerque

"Not all those who wander are lost." - R.R. Tolkien

Penny's Gallery

Thanks Penny, I hadn't thought of that. Another good idea!

Susie
    Art Director/Video Instructor
    PS CS6 & Elements 11. Mac 10.6.8, Firefox
    My Store - Designs by Susie Roberts
    My Blog
    My Gallery

Great tutorial. Thanks!

Default ribbon

Quote Originally Posted by muppet View Post
    Here is a link to my "home made" ribbon. When you are stuck for a ribbon embellishment this is a really quick way to make a matching ribbon. Open a new document 12" wide x .5" high. Duplicate the layer (very important). On this new layer, click and drag an outline of your ribbon with the rectangular marquee tool 12" wide and 2.5" high in the centre so that you have 1/8" top and bottom. Choose a light and dark shade of the colours you want from the colour picker but make sure there is plenty of contrast. Go to Filter, Render, Clouds. This fills the ribbon with a varigated pattern. Deselect. Choose a darker or contrasting colour from the colour picker and choose Edit, stroke. 10 pixels will give you a nice selvage edge. You can then lower the opacity to give a sheer looking ribbon if desired or use texturizer to create more interest. I used the Liquify tool to pucker the centre of the ribbon and then made a brad to go over the top. You can also use a custom shadow to give the ribbon further dimension.
    Thanks Muppet, I've just copied and pasted it into a document I use for these neat tricks.

Have a wonderful day.

Kay from CNY

What a great way to make a ribbon. I really like the way you colored it with the cloud filter. For those, like me, who prefer 8.5 x 11" pages, make the document 14" wide, and it will reach from corner to corner.

I also beveled the stroke, adjusting the bevel size to 3. (Click on the flower icon on the layer.)

7. Default

Thanks Muppet for the instructions on making sheer ribbon, I made and used some in my last LO for this week's template. I am wondering how to create a realistic shadow for sheer ribbon. When I try to use a shadow it darkens the ribbon so much and I don't like that look. Thanks so much for any advice that anyone can give me.

Janet
    Janet (Love To Decorate)

Hi Janet ...

Create the shadow on its own layer and then you need to remove the shadow that is directly under the ribbon and just leave the shadow that peeks out above /below the ribbon

Wendy
    Computer: Mainly Macs with OSX
    Browser: Camino, Firefox & Safari
    Photoshop & Elements: CS5 Design Suite, CS3 & Most Versions of Elements.

My Gallery here
    Wendy's World at PET
    Check out My Blog

9. Default

Thanks so much Wendy, I should have thought of that. LOL
    Janet (Love To Decorate)

10. Default

How creative! I will have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing your neat ribbon idea.