Digital Scrapper

Default A fast way to straighten a photo.

I am really good at taking crooked photos. So much so that I need to straighten nearly every shot I take - particularly landscapes. Here is a really neat way to straighten a photo quickly. Open the photo in Photoshop.
    Click on the measure tool (in the flyout menu behind the eyedropper). Click and drag along the line in the photo you want to straighten. It could just be the horizon or the roof of a building for example.

Go to the top menu. Click on image, rotate canvas, arbitrary. A new box will open telling you the angle and direction your photo will change to. Click okay.
    You will now see your photo tilt to the "straight" position. All you need to do now is to use the crop tool to resize your photo, getting rid of the white edges. The amount of the photo you lose will depend on how much tilting has been necessary.
    Cheers.
    Susie

Susie
    Art Director/Video Instructor
    PS CS6 & Elements 11. Mac 10.6.8, Firefox
    My Store - Designs by Susie Roberts
    My Blog
    My Gallery

Thanks for the great tip. This is a quick and easy way to straighten photos!
    Maggie May a/k/a Laura
    My blog

Hi,

Another really easy way to straighten a crooked picture in Photoshop CS3 is to go under the Filter Menu, choose Distort and then choose Lens Correction. When the dialog box opens, I usually turn off the grid (I find it distracting). Using the straighten tool (the second one from the top) simply click and drag out a line that should be straight, either horizontally or vertically.

If this rotation leaves transparency on the edge of your picture, you use the scale slider in the bottom of the right side of the dialog window to adjust.

This works for me every time and usually my picture isn't so far off that I get too much transparency when I straighten it.

Don't you love having multiple ways to do the same thing in Photoshop?

I know I do,

Vicki
    vfh

iMac G5; CS3; Canon Pixma iP4500; Wacom Intuos 2 6 x 8 tablet; Canon EOS 300D (original Digital Rebel)

My NAPP Gallery

My SG Gallery

My Mac Portfolio

What a great idea! I'll have to try that method.

Susie
    Art Director/Video Instructor
    PS CS6 & Elements 11. Mac 10.6.8, Firefox
    My Store - Designs by Susie Roberts
    My Blog
    My Gallery