Digital Scrapper

Thread: red eye

1. Default red eye

I feel silly asking this question but I can't get my red eye tool to work. I am using PSE 4.0 and do not want the auto red because this never works right either. What I have been doing and it does not work is I drag an outline around the red eye area and it then just goes away and nothing happens. I have tried this over and over. I reset the red eye tool but it still happens. Please advise me what to do.

Thanks a lot
    Bean

Bean,

The red-eye tool was really bad in 4.0. There are other methods to fix red-eye, but I don't know them off the top of my head. Have you searched the forums here? I think some people select the eyes using the elliptical marquee tool, and then use a hue/saturation adjustment layer.

-Trish
    -Trish

PSE 9.0, 10.0, 11.0 and CS5, CS6 on Vista and Windows 7; IMatch for Organizing Photos
    Nikon D50 (dSLR), Nikon 560 (point and shoot)
    My Gallery

Hi Bean ...

Try this:

Select the red area plus a few pixels ... feather a little.
    Then do Enhance>Colour>Hue & Sat
    Select red from the edit box and reduce saturation to zero or thereabouts
    Then do Enhance>Brightness & Contrast>Levels .. move the left hand marker in about a third of the way and move the centre marker over to the right until the area goes dark ... not too far or it will look artificial.

Hope that helps

Wendy
    Last edited by Jan; 06-08-2009 at 04:16 PM.
    Computer: Mainly Macs with OSX
    Browser: Camino, Firefox & Safari
    Photoshop & Elements: CS5 Design Suite, CS3 & Most Versions of Elements.

My Gallery here
    Wendy's World at PET
    Check out My Blog

Wendy, we should make your tutorial a sticky in this forum.

-Trish
    -Trish

PSE 9.0, 10.0, 11.0 and CS5, CS6 on Vista and Windows 7; IMatch for Organizing Photos
    Nikon D50 (dSLR), Nikon 560 (point and shoot)
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by troush View Post
    Wendy, we should make your tutorial a sticky in this forum.

-Trish
    You should do that. The red eye tool in my PSE5 and even in my PSE7 has never worked right. I think it is one of the areas they just haven't gotten down correctly for some reason.

Anyway, I am going to put Wendy's instructions in a folder for future use.

Kudos to you Trish and Wendy, the expert advise on this forum in super. Thanks ladies, I have never came here and left without haveing learned something new or picked up a new tip.
    Alberta
    My Gallery
    PSE9, PSE10 and PSE11
    Lightroom 3.4
    Windows PC and Toshiba Satellite laptop
    Windows 7
    Internet Explorer
    Nikon P100 coolpix
    Nikon D3100
    Kindle Fire HD and Google Nexus 7

"He who has learned to seek nothing but the will of God, shall always find what he seeks." Madame Guyon

Do you think this trick would work with dog eyes? They don't get red, so the red-eye tool won't work. I'm going to try it. I want to eliminate the white-eye look.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty_89 View Post
    Do you think this trick would work with dog eyes? They don't get red, so the red-eye tool won't work. I'm going to try it. I want to eliminate the white-eye look.
    Here is a pet eye thread.
    Doris
    CC 2014, PSE 13, Nikon D90
    Windows 7 (64bit), Laptop Windows 8 (64bit), Internet Explorer

Gallery

Default Dog Eyes

Tip of the week is dog eyes, but I must be missing part of the tip. It says step two get the eyes. I followed all the directions put the rectangle around the eyes, then that is where the instructions stop. How do I get the eyes changed? I feel like I was left hanging. I can't scroll down and farther to see if there is a next step. This fits right in with the thread below on red eyes. It was funny cuz on my lesson I was using a dog and then saw the tip, fits in there tool.
    Bonnie
    Elements 11/ Windows 7
    Internet Explorer
    ACDSee

Sorry about that! There was an issue with Internet Explorer. The links worked fine with Firefox, Google Chrome and Safari.... but good ol' IE was giving us fits!

We believe we've isolated and fixed the problem now, so give it another try. If you still can't access it with Internet Explorer, try using one of the browsers above, and then let us know if you continue to have difficulty!

Thanks for your patience!
    Jan Walker

Jan's Digital Scrapper Gallery

Creative Teams:
    Digital Scrapbook Artisan Guild
    E-Scape and Scrap
    Studio Manu at Scrapbook Graphics

Shumicse, thanks for sharing another option for taking care of red eye!
    Lana
    PSE 11, ACDSee Pro 7, Epson Artisan 837
    Win7 Home Premium, 64-bit
    , Firefox, IE 10

Canon 60D, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200

Lana's Gallery
    Classes: 10 Photo Techniques * 20 Type Tutorials * Learn Digital Scrapbooking PSE 11 * Get Organized NOW! * Power Scrapbooking * Little Known Secrets of PSE Tools * Help For Heritage Photos * Digi Cards 101 * Creative Inspiration * ABCs of Page Design * Your Story. Brilliant (in progress) * Art of Blending * ClickArtistry-Photo Art Blends * Home Decor & Gifts * Custom Shadow Mastery: Part 1 & Part 2 * Natural Light Photography * The Savvy Stasher * Actions: Fix Photos Fast! *