Digital Scrapper

Lightbulb Tutorial ... The Basics of Layers

Hi ... I wrote this a while ago to help someone learn about layers. So I thought I would post it in case it would help others too.

Simple things with layers ... Part 1 (Part 2 is below)

Create a new file ... File>New>Blank File 500 pixels x 500 pixels, 72 resolution, RGB, White background
    Choose Red as your foreground colour
    Make a new layer ... Layer>New>layer
    Select the Rectangular Marquee tool, make a square selection with it and use the paint bucket to fill it with red
    Deselect ... Select>Deselect
    Now go you to your layers palette and you will see that you now have two layers.

Go back to you image,
    Select the move tool, make sure that you have auto select checked (top f the screen) then click on the square, you will see a box appear around it ... this is called the bounding box.
    Put your cursor in the centre of the red square, click on the mouse (hold it down) and drag the square to a new location (then release).
    Move your cursor to the corner of the bounding box and the cursor shape will change to a diagonal line with an arrow at each end ... Hold down the mouse and drag, you will see that the red square becomes larger ... or smaller if you drag inwards ..... Congratulations you have just resized the image on your layer

You can also, move your mouse to one of the sides of the square and you will be able to drag just one way ... or move your mouse to the corner again then move it just outside the box. The cursor changes to a quarter circle with an arrow at each end ... click the mouse and drag and you will be able to rotate the image on your layer.

Move your cursor around the screen (without clicking) and you will see how the cursor changes around and inside the bounding box ... when you see the cursor change you can then click, hold down and drag. Try out different ways and see what it does.

Now make another new layer ... Layer>New>layer
    Change your foreground colour to Yellow
    Select the Elliptical Marquee tool, make a circular selection and use the paint bucket to fill it with yellow
    Deselect ... Select>Deselect
    Now go you to your layers palette and you will see that you now have three layers (A background layer, a red square and a yellow circle) ...
    Go back to your image, click on the yellow circle and try out the things you did with the red square.

(see below for Part 2)

Wendy
    Computer: Mainly Macs with OSX
    Browser: Camino, Firefox & Safari
    Photoshop & Elements: CS5 Design Suite, CS3 & Most Versions of Elements.

My Gallery here
    Wendy's World at PET
    Check out My Blog

Part 2 ...

Well you did that OK so here is another thing to try:

... go to the layers palette and click on the thumbnail of the yellow circle, hold down the mouse and drag it down below the red square ... go back to your image and you will now see that the yellow circle is below the red square ... move it around the screen and see the difference.

Go back to the layers palette ... click on the red square then look at the top of the layers palette and you with see a little box that says Opacity ... use the slide to change that to 50% ... then go back to your image and see how that has changed the way it looks.

Go back to the layers palette again and change the opacity back to 100% on the red square layer.
    Then open any one of your own photos and Do Select>All, Edit>copy
    Go back to our image and do Edit>Paste
    Your photo is now the top layer in the layers palette
    Click on the move tool and click on your photo ... I bet you can't see the bounding box because you image is just too big
    No problem just do View>Fit on Screen ... now you can see it
    Resize it just like you did the red square ... select the corner furthest away from your canvas and drag that edge so that it is going to be on the canvas.
    Double click on the hand tool and your image will come back to normal size.
    .... and there you have four layer ... (when you do Edit>Paste it creates its own new layer)

From there play around with the layers ... move them around, rotate them, change their order in the layers palette, change the opacity of any layer ... add more layers and photographs if you wish.

You have a simple montage ...

Let me know how you go on with it ... and ask as many questions as you like. I really don't mind answering questions

Wendy
    Computer: Mainly Macs with OSX
    Browser: Camino, Firefox & Safari
    Photoshop & Elements: CS5 Design Suite, CS3 & Most Versions of Elements.

My Gallery here
    Wendy's World at PET
    Check out My Blog