Digital Scrapper

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Doodle Outline Border Tutorial

I used the font "My Own Topher" at 100 px. Then I contracted by 10 and deleted the inside - leaving only an outline. Duplicate the layer and go to Filter>Distort>Wave. For the first filter settings I used 10 for gen. 122 - 188 for Wavelength, 29 - 38 for Amplitude, 7 - 10 for Scale. I set to Sine and Repeat Edge Pixels. Then I duplicated the orig. outline layer again and used the wave filter with different settings. On the 2nd filter I used 8 for gen. 141 - 178 for Wavelength, 38 - 62 for Amplitude, 7 - 11 for Scale. I then used the move tool and with the arrows moved the first filter down and over a notch or two and did the opposite with the second filter. Any settings can be used in the wave filter... depending on how wild you want it to be. I then made brushes from the alpa and shapes I used.
    Here is a sample used on a scrapbook page.
    http://www.scrappersguide.com/forums...hp?photo=24531
    And here is another sample:
    http://www.scrappersguide.com/forums...hp?photo=24532
    You can use the paint tool to fill in some color if you like.
    I did a full 12 by 12 sheet at once and typed my fonts at 100 pix. then did them all at once. To do the complete alpabet and some goodie shapes from PSE I had 4 sheets. I got all my sheets ready then did the wave filter.
    Last edited by Fox57; 04-17-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: add more instruction

So cool - thanks for the tut - I don't have time to try it right now but I have bookmarked this page for later.
    Barb
    |Video Instructor|Digital Scrapper Creative Team|
    |CC 2014|PSE 12|Lightroom 5|Windows|Google Chrome|
    |My Gallery|My Blog|Instagram|

What FUN! I just made my first "A."

My only problem is that each letter has to be done individually. It will take a long time to make a whole alphabet. I guess that is why designers make the big bucks.

For those of us who are "dummies," I have expanded the instructions a little bit to explain how to accomplish the contraction and deletion:

Choose a font (Fox 57 used "My Own Topher;" I used "Ryan," both bold serif fonts. Size = 100.

Open a new 12 x 12 document with a transparent background.

Type out the letters/symbols/shapes you want to include.

Right click on the letters in the Layers Panel and choose Simplify Layer.

CTRL click on the letter layer to get marching ants around the letters.

Select>Modify>Contract. Contract by 10 pixels. Click DELETE to remove the inside, leaving an outline.

CTRL + D to get rid of marching ants.

Duplicate the layer and rename it (ie., Filter 1).

With new layer selected, go to Filter>Distort>Wave.

Settings are your choice. Fox57 used the following:

Number of Generators: 10
    Wavelength: 122-188
    Amplitude: 29-38
    Scale: 7-10
    Sine and Repeat Edges checked on.

With arrow keys, move this layer up and right by a click or two each direction.

Duplicate the ORIGINAL letter again, and rename it (ie., Filter 2).

With new layer selected go to Filter>Distort>Wave

For this layer Fox 57 used the following:

Number of Generators: 8
    Wavelength: 141-178
    Amplitude: 38-62
    Scale: 7-11
    Sine and Repeat Edges checked on.

With the arrow keys, bump the letters down and to the left a click or two each direction.

Merge the three layers.

Save the document as a png file.

To apply individual letters to another document, select each one with the lasso tool, copy/paste it into the new document.

Fox 57 made a brushes from the letters.

Brenda, I hope you don't mind that I hijacked your tut, but I had to struggle thru the stuff that may be obvious to you and other advanced users. I had to work out how to do it, and thought others might appreciate not having to reinvent the wheel.
    Last edited by SharLamb; 04-18-2010 at 07:52 AM.
    Shar
    iPhone (has become my go-to "camera"); Canon Rebel xsi; Canon SX280HS (p&S)
    CS5
    PSE 9 Organizer
    Wacom Bamboo Tablet
    Windows 8 on a PC
    Browser: Chrome

Thanks for sharing, Fox57!
    Jan Walker

Jan's Digital Scrapper Gallery

Creative Teams:
    Digital Scrapbook Artisan Guild
    E-Scape and Scrap
    Studio Manu at Scrapbook Graphics

Thanks Shar!!! I owe you one. It's a good thing I don't do tutorials for a living. I guess my instructions were a little vague. I was afraid if I put too much I might have people thinking I assumed they knew nothing. I'll try and be more informative next time. I do appreciate your help... sorry you had to type all that. You should've hollered at me and I would've expanded on it. I was so excited at how they came out I just had to share it. Brenda

Shar... I didn't do each letter indivually. I typed a full sheet 12 x 12 then did the whole page. Because I used 100 px for the font size it took 4 sheets. But I did them all at once. Didn't take long at all.

Oh, Brenda, what I meant was, you have to treat each letter separately when you do the reduction and filter steps. If I had CS, I would make a macro (sorry....ACTION) to accomplish the steps. If I'm wrong about that, I'd love to know. As it is, I've cut it down by a few steps by duplicating the original layer twice at the beginning. Then I go to the wave settings and use the one that is there on the first copied layer, then select the 2nd copied layer and make the changes in the wave settings. I just use that one on the next letter I do. In other words, which ever settings are showing when I open, that's the one I apply, and don't make changes until I get to the 2nd copied layer. Clear as mud?

As to typing it out...not to worry. I LOVE writing instructions. I love numbering or bulleting steps too, so wonder why I didn't do that here. LOL I'm glad I didn't offend you!
    Shar
    CS5
    PSE 9 Organizer
    Wacom Bamboo Tablet
    Windows 8 on a PC

Deleted...see other tut.
    Last edited by SharLamb; 04-18-2010 at 06:07 PM.
    Shar
    CS5
    PSE 9 Organizer
    Wacom Bamboo Tablet
    Windows 8 on a PC

In case you didn't visit the gallery:

Shar
    CS5
    PSE 9 Organizer
    Wacom Bamboo Tablet
    Windows 8 on a PC

Still not sure what you mean by typing each letter on its own layer, Shar. I opened a new document 12 x 12 and typed A thru I caps and lc.... A a B b C c D d so on... then Cntl clicked the page to get marching ants on all the letters on the page.. Select>Modify>Contract by 10 pixels. Then I dup. and used the wave filter on all the letters on the page. So all together I had 4 layers covering the alphabet, numbers, symbols and some PSE shapes. I dup. each of the 4 and named it filter 1. I ran the filter on each of the 4 layers, then duplicated each one again naming it filter 2 and ran the wave filter again. So all in all I ran the 1st filter 4 times, and the 2nd filter 4 times. Are we doing it the same way? It only took about 30 min. for me to make the whole thing. Here is my first page.
    http://www.scrappersguide.com/forums...2&ppuser=10444
    Last edited by Fox57; 04-17-2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: add a link