Digital Scrapper

Default Glass Picture Frames

Hello Scrappers!

So here is the long version of how I make the glass picture frames (I apologize in advance if this is too long-winded)

1. I started with a blank background, standard 12” X 12” (just because that’s where my settings were already)

2. I added my picture that I want to frame in glass, simplified the picture and sized it to the size I wanted

3. I made a copy of the picture by selecting the picture in the layers bin and pressing ctrl-J (from bottom to top, layers should be background, original picture, picture copy)

4. Select the picture copy layer (top layer in the layers bin) and using the rectangular marquee tool, draw the inner boundary of the intended glass picture frame to your desired size.

5. Under the select menu (upper left), select inverse, then under the edit menu, select cut (at this point, I still only see my original picture on the screen)

6. Select the background layer in the layers bin, add a white solid color layer and simplify it (now layers should be from bottom to top, background, Color Fill 1, original picture, picture copy)

7. With the Color Fill 1 layer selected, resize the color layer to the exact size of the picture on the screen (should be underneath the picture)

8. Next, in the layers bin, move the Color Fill 1 layer up one layer by pressing ctrl-] (now you should see the smaller, cut version of the picture with a white boarder)

9. With the Color Fill 1 layer still selected in the layers bin, reduce the opacity of the white color layer (now you should see the whole picture again with the frame portion slightly faded looking)
    Note: for dark pictures, I use a lower opacity, for light pictures, I use a higher opacity

10. Now select the picture copy layer (top layer) in the layers bin and in the effects palette, add an inner ridge bevel

11. Next, select the original picture layer in the layers bin and using the effects palette, add an inner ridge bevel

12. Next, I double click the fx icon in the original picture layer and increase the pixels of the bevel to what looks appropriate (this sizes the outer bevel of the frame). I repeat this process for the picture copy layer to adjust the inner bevel size.

13. Now I want to create an additional bevel in the picture frame to dress it up. So, create a new blank layer above the original picture layer, and using the rectangular marquee tool draw a line somewhere between the inner ridge bevel and the outer ridge bevel.
    14. With the new blank layer selected in the layers bin, under the edit menu, select the stroke (outline) selection

15. I choose the size of the stroke line to be 1 pixel as I do not want the color to show up and press ok (to add a color or a layer style like gold effect, simply choose a larger pixel stroke line)

16. Lastly, with the new blank layer still selected in the layers bin, in the effects palette, I add a simple sharp pillow emboss bevel , and change the size of the bevel to suit the frame by double clicking the fx symbol

Presto! The glass picture frame is done. I like to add a drop shadow of some sort and a star sparkle to a corner to give it a touch or realism. I’ve also made the stroke line in step 15 larger and added a gold layer style to this for a little gold in-lay bling.

I’d love to hear your feedback and see your experiments with this technique.

My examples are posted here:
    http://www.scrappersguide.com/forums...1&ppuser=13412

Here:
    http://www.scrappersguide.com/forums...2&ppuser=13412

Here:
    http://www.scrappersguide.com/forums...3&ppuser=13412

And Here:
    http://www.scrappersguide.com/forums...3&ppuser=13412

Hope you have fun with this!
    LM
    Last edited by Little Mickey; 05-16-2010 at 03:59 PM.
    - Michael (Little Mickey)

Canon EOS Rebel Xsi
    PSE8
    Windows 7

Will have to give that a try this next week. So nice of you to provide such a detailed tutorial. I usually just dink and can't remember what I did when I do something by accident! Thank you.
    Doris
    CC 2014, PSE 12, Nikon D90
    Windows 7 (64bit), Laptop Windows 8 (64bit), Internet Explorer

Gallery

Hello Doris,

Me too, I had to go back through and decipher what I did from the PSE file and the layers, then translate that onto a scribbled mess on paper, then essentially translate that mess into a word file! Yikes! I keep meaning to take notes when I'm experimenting, but I get carried away and forget

Michael (LM)

Canon EOS Rebel Xsi
    PSE8
    Windows 7

Thanks for the tutorial. It's perfect for great mountain vistas.

Thanks! I am amazed at the results you have with the frames. I'm printing off these instructions.....
    Esther

Thanks for the tutorial, Michael! Now lets see what everyone does with it! Post your creation to your Member Gallery, and then post a link here so we can go take a look!
    Jan Walker

Jan's Digital Scrapper Gallery

Creative Teams:
    Digital Scrapbook Artisan Guild
    E-Scape and Scrap
    Studio Manu at Scrapbook Graphics

http://www.scrappersguide.com/forums...8&ppuser=13743

My glass frame without the star sparkle. How do I make this please?

Thank-you Michael.

My Gallery

PSE 11
    MAC OS X Version 10.8.2
    Safari
    iphoto

Hello dimorr,

Nice job on the picture frame, glad the tut worked for you

The star sparkle comes from a brush set that was released by the media-militia group called Bling Effects Pack. It comes with 50 different star sparkle brushes that are way cool to play around with. You can download the brush pack for free from the media-militia website here:

http://mediamilitia.com/bling-effect...oshop-brushes/

Glad you liked the tut

LM

Canon EOS Rebel Xsi
    PSE8
    Windows 7

thanks for sharing will have a look at this later
    Lin
    -----
    The best things in life aren't things.

Do not regret growing older, it is a privilege denied to many.