Digital Scrapper

Default Mitered Corner Lace Frame

I was asked to explain how I created a lace frame here
    Iím using PSE6 on a PC.

I would suggest trying it with a piece of plain ribbon first, as lace is quite a bit trickier to work with.

Create a new 12 x 12 inch file at 300 ppi, or size of your choice. Open a piece of ribbon and drag it onto your page.

With the move tool, move it to the far left of your page, in the vertical position. Use the alt key (double arrowheads) and drag out one copy while holding down the shift key to constrain proportions and move it to the right hand size of your page.

Drag out one more ribbon layer and rotate it 90 degrees and move it to the top of your page and position, with the ribbon edges overlapping each other completely. Repeat the alt key (double arrowheads) to create your 4th piece of ribbon and move it to the bottom of the page, using shift to constrain proportions. Merge the two vertical layers together. Merge the two horizontal layers together. You want your vertical layer on top.

It may be easiest at this point to drag out a corner so you have gray space beyond your working area. Click on the vertical ribbon layer, your top layer and get the polygonal lasso tool. Starting at the upper left corner, click and then bring it across your ribbon in the corner, as you create a miter. Click once just beyond where your miter would end. Go across the top of your page, just below your top ribbon and click to start the miter for your right hand corner. Again angle across your ribbon, towards the top to create your second miter & click. Bring your polygonal lasso tool back to your starting point (upper left) and click to close the loop. Once you have your marching ants, click on your backspace key to delete and create your miter. Deselect. Do the same for the lower ribbon.

When working with lace, I found it difficult to get my edges to line up just the way I wanted them, with everything matching at the miter. Therefore I concentrated on just ONE corner, moving the lace to align at ONE corner. Once I was satisfied with all edges & designs matching, (you may want to lower opacity on one layer here to see) I created my miter for the ONE corner. Then I selected a 4 x 4 square (this was the size that worked with my design), and with the rectangular marquee tool and Ctrl J (duplicated) it to itís own layer. Turn off the bottom layer and then make 3 more copies of the corner & rotate as needed. Using the move tool and arrow keys, nudge into place to make a frame. Zoom in close to inspect at this point. Save as a PSD. Then merge the layers together and save as a PNG remembering to turn off or delete the background before saving the PNG, if not transparent.

Lois aka Fulltimer

Lois

PSE 10, Wdw 7, Chrome, CS3

My DS Gallery

I have been able to do the mitred corner ok but not too sure what you mean by selecting a 4x4 square. I think I get it but to then get the lace to match up using the four corners is rather tricky.

I know this is not easy to explain and thank-you for your efforts. I noticed you used a simple lace pattern in your mat. Does this make it easier?

My Gallery

PSE 11
    MAC OS X Version 10.8.2
    Safari
    iphoto

dimorr
    Yes, it is rather tricky to get the lace to match up. If you adjust your lace to line up on one corner, chances are it will not line up on another corner.

That is why I chose to select just one completed mitered corner and duplicate it, so all my corners would match. An option would be to position two corners together for the top (or bottom) half of the mat and then duplicate that for the other half. See sample here. Note white lines show at the divisions so you can see where the corners are joined.

I am sure there are other ways to accomplish this, however this was the technique I used.

The lace border I created was the same as Linda used in her Premier June video tutorial.
    Last edited by Fulltimer; 07-01-2010 at 07:58 AM. Reason: typo

Lois

PSE 10, Wdw 7, Chrome, CS3

My DS Gallery

Thank-you, seeing the mat up close like this I understand better. I will have another go and keep you posted.

It really is a lovely mat.

My Gallery

PSE 11
    MAC OS X Version 10.8.2
    Safari
    iphoto