Digital Scrapper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Houston, TX (but my heart is in Seattle with my daughter)

Default Saving in jpg without flattening image

I'm behind on watching the Premier tutorials and just watched Jan Walker's Touch of Texture from June. Love it and enjoy listening to Jan's voice. Here's my confusion: I have always saved my layered work in PSD, then flattened the image & saved it as a JPG. I didn't know I could save it in JPG without flattening it or merging all the layers first--same thing, right? Is there an advantage to saving it in layers in JPG format? Would I want to go back & make changes to a JPG if I lose pixels each time it's saved? Please clarify this for me. I'm using PSE 7

Thanks
    Beverly
    PSE 11, Windows 7, Internet Explorer, Wacom tablet (learning)
    (My SG Gallery)

Hi Beverley ...

When you save as a jpg it automatically flattens the image so that all your layers are lost ...

Wendy
    Computer: Mainly Macs with OSX
    Browser: Camino, Firefox & Safari
    Photoshop & Elements: CS5 Design Suite, CS3 & Most Versions of Elements.

My Gallery here
    Wendy's World at PET
    Check out My Blog

Houston, TX (but my heart is in Seattle with my daughter)

Don't I feel silly. I should have closed the file & re-opened it & I would have seen that all the layers merged. I expected the layers pallet to change to one layer at the time I saved it, but I could still see all the layers. Same thing on the movie when Jan saved it. Wish I hadn't asked that question. Thanks for answering it anyway.
    Beverly
    PSE 11, Windows 7, Internet Explorer, Wacom tablet (learning)
    (My SG Gallery)

While we are discussing flattening LO's, what is the difference between flattening a LO, merging layers and saving as jpg? All seem to result in the same thing, so why the different ways?

My Gallery

PSE 11
    MAC OS X Yosemite Version 10.10
    Safari

Everyone uses a different work-flow system so here's mine! I never flatten my psd files because I only want three versions of a layout on my hard drive: A layered psd file which I can go back and change, a jpeg copy of it at print quality for uploading to Shutterfly or printing out at home, and then a web copy for posting to the gallery or on my blog. Sometimes I go back and use some of the layers that I've made on other layouts so I don't have to redo steps. The benefit of having a flattened psd file is that no matter how many times you open and close it, you don't lose quality which is not the case with a jpeg. So it's a personal choice as to which way you go. Once you flatten a file and close it, the layers are lost. I've just never needed more than the layered file and the jpeg copy of each layout. Here's an example of the file size of the four different types on one of my layouts: Layered psd - 142 mb, Flattened psd - 28 mb, Jpeg (printable/shutterfly quality) - 3 mb, then last but not least - Saved for the web copy - 120kb. I would be very interested to hear any other arguments for having extra files of different types.

Susie
    Art Director/Video Instructor
    PS CS6 & Elements 11. Mac 10.6.8, Firefox
    My Store - Designs by Susie Roberts
    My Blog
    My Gallery

I do the same as Susie. I save the layered PSD, a high-res JPG (300 dpi) for printing purposes, and a low-res (72 dpi) JPG sized for the web.

I often go back and make adjustments to the layered files, so I would never, ever flatten a PSD.
    Jan Walker

Jan's Digital Scrapper Gallery

Creative Teams:
    Digital Scrapbook Artisan Guild
    E-Scape and Scrap
    Studio Manu at Scrapbook Graphics

Just one point with jpgs ... opening them and them closing them doesn't degrade the image. That only happens when you resave them ...

... and to be honest the occasional resave isn't going to make a lot of difference. You would have to resave them quite a number of times in order to do that. So don't worry too much about the occasional resaving of jpgs ... but don't do it too many times

Wendy
    Computer: Mainly Macs with OSX
    Browser: Camino, Firefox & Safari
    Photoshop & Elements: CS5 Design Suite, CS3 & Most Versions of Elements.

My Gallery here
    Wendy's World at PET
    Check out My Blog

I work in layered TIFFs. I also print from the layered TIFFs. I seem to get better quality prints at home doing this. Then I create a JPG web copy. I only create a high res JPG, as needed; like if I'm creating a Shutterfly book.
    Lana
    PSE 11, ACDSee Pro 7, Epson Artisan 837
    Win7 Home Premium, 64-bit
    , Firefox, IE 10

Canon 60D, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200

Lana's Gallery
    Classes: 10 Photo Techniques * 20 Type Tutorials * Learn Digital Scrapbooking PSE 11 * Get Organized NOW! * Power Scrapbooking * Little Known Secrets of PSE Tools * Help For Heritage Photos * Digi Cards 101 * Creative Inspiration * ABCs of Page Design * Your Story. Brilliant (in progress) * Art of Blending * ClickArtistry-Photo Art Blends * Home Decor & Gifts * Custom Shadow Mastery: Part 1 & Part 2 * Natural Light Photography * The Savvy Stasher * Actions: Fix Photos Fast! *

I work in PSD's. I print from the psd files at home. If I print at a vendor I save as jpg (always look at vendors requirements though). If I upload to the gallery, I save as web and do a webcopy.

Like Susie said, everyone has their own workflow. I tend to make a lot of my own stuff and might steal something from an old LO or if I can't remember how I did something, I might look back at finer details of an old LO. I recently deleted a bunch of PSD's and kept just the jpgs and really regretted it, so won't be doing that again!
    Doris
    CC 2014, PSE 13, Nikon D90
    Windows 7 (64bit), Laptop Windows 8 (64bit), Internet Explorer

Gallery

Thank-you this has been very helpful. I do tend to save in psd and jpg but I never thought to re-use some older layers in newer LO's as you suggested!

My Gallery

PSE 11
    MAC OS X Yosemite Version 10.10
    Safari