This is really fun. Thank you.
    Bobbie
    Elements 9, , Windows 7, Foxfire, Organizer, Wacom Tablet-maybe

Hi Bobbie ...

Glad that you like it

Wendy
    Computer: Mainly Macs with OSX
    Browser: Camino, Firefox & Safari
    Photoshop & Elements: CS5 Design Suite, CS3 & Most Versions of Elements.

My Gallery here
    Wendy's World at PET
    Check out My Blog

ScrappyBarb Guest

My favorite way of creating a sharp, clear black and white photo from a color one, is to set the Default Colors then add a adjustment layer and choose gradient map.

There are so many ways to covert to a b/w but this one seems to give me the sharpest contrast, etc. Of course, you can add a Levels adjustment layer above the Gradient Map to give a stronger contrast.

Try it!

I'm going to have to try that ScrappyBarb! OK, I just tried it - it's fabulous!
    Barb
    |Video Instructor|Digital Scrapper Creative Team|
    |CC 2014|PSE 12|Lightroom 5|Windows|Google Chrome|
    |My Gallery|My Blog|Instagram|

Can you please explain how to do: to set the Default Colors then add a adjustment layer and choose gradient map?
    Thanks,
    Sue
    ~Sue
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Canon 20D and 70D, oh-lala
    Photoshop CS6, Elements 8
    Pixma MX882, Epson Photo R1900

Windows 7-64bit Pro and Ultimate
    Google Chrome and Firefox
    Classes: Fix Photos Fast!, Savvy Stasher, Power Scrapbooking, Little Known Secrets, PHOTOSHOP CS4-6, Get Organized Now, Easy Page Design 2, Digi Cards 101, Custom Shadow Mastery 1, 20 Terrific Type Tutorials
    Premier Member since 2005

Hi Sue,
    Down at the bottom of your toolbar, set your color chips to their default position of black over white.

Then, in the Layer Panel, click on the Adjustment Layer icon (the black and white circle) and then click on Gradient Map. That will give you a fairly decent black and white version of your image. If you like what you see, you can save the image as a JPG with a new name. Or if you want more contrast, you can go back and add another Adjustment Layer and choose Levels. Work with the sliders until you get the contrast and brightness you want. Then save your image with a new name.

If you don't like it, just delete the adjustment layer(s) and your original image is still intact.

There are MANY ways to convert an image to black and white. This is just one of them.
    Jan Walker

Jan's Digital Scrapper Gallery

Creative Teams:
    Digital Scrapbook Artisan Guild
    E-Scape and Scrap
    Studio Manu at Scrapbook Graphics

Thanks, Jan. Great explanation. Helped me find where I needed to go.

So what's your favorite way?
    ~Sue
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Canon 20D and 70D, oh-lala
    Photoshop CS6, Elements 8
    Pixma MX882, Epson Photo R1900

Windows 7-64bit Pro and Ultimate
    Google Chrome and Firefox
    Classes: Fix Photos Fast!, Savvy Stasher, Power Scrapbooking, Little Known Secrets, PHOTOSHOP CS4-6, Get Organized Now, Easy Page Design 2, Digi Cards 101, Custom Shadow Mastery 1, 20 Terrific Type Tutorials
    Premier Member since 2005

Hi Sue,
    I use CS5 and my favorite way is the adjustment layer, Black & White, and then adjusting the various color influences until I like what I see.

In PSE9, my favorite way is to use Enhance > Convert to Black and White, then run through the styles to see which one I want to start with, and then adjust the color influences on the sliders. It's somewhat similar to the CS5 method.

And it will give you much more creative control over your images than just using the adjustment layer, gradient map and then having to do a separate layers adjustment.

Check it out and see which way you prefer...
    Jan Walker

Jan's Digital Scrapper Gallery

Creative Teams:
    Digital Scrapbook Artisan Guild
    E-Scape and Scrap
    Studio Manu at Scrapbook Graphics

This is about the neatest little trick I've learned lately. Thanks!
    My name is Beverly.
    I use Photoshop CS2.
    I use Windows Vista (but preferred XP)
    I have been using Google Chrome, until they updated me and I lost all my good toolbars. Now, I also go back to Internet Explorer from time to time.