Let us know how it all turns out!
    Jan Walker

Jan's Digital Scrapper Gallery

Creative Teams:
    Digital Scrapbook Artisan Guild
    E-Scape and Scrap
    Studio Manu at Scrapbook Graphics

2. Default

I ordered my computer today as cs5 keeps crashing on me and I was getting tired of that. I ended up going Dell so I hope that it will be okay given the comments here but it is the desktop xps 8300 which did have good reviews and there was a nice deal with a 23 inch monitor included. The original chipset had been recalled but now they have the new ones. It has the i-7 2600 processor at 3.4ghz and 8mb of cache and 12gb of ram. Right now I have 3gb of ram on our old computer so it should be a treat. I ordered it with an ati radeon 5670 1gb video card. The monitors were on sale for $139 so I got a second monitor so I can set up dual monitors. I have dual monitors at work and love them and think this will be so nice to put acdsee on one monitor and cs5 on the other monitor. I will update when I get everything about how it is working.

Jodi

ETA: I felt so guilty for doing the second monitor for home especially 2 23 inch monitors, but I think I am going to love having that. We'll see how it goes!
    Jodi, mom of now three beautiful boys
    Took the plunge with Creative Cloud, also have CS5.1
    AcdSee Pro 6 for organizing kits, photos, lessons... - works so well!
    Windows 7, 64 bit, I7-2600 cpu

Congrat Jodi. CS5 should run flawlessly on your new computer. I got my HP last April, because I was getting CS5 and didn't want to chance it on my old one. I think I've only hung up once with CS5 in over a year and I never close CS5 or Bridge. They are always left open. It runs so smooth and quick. Never, ever an issue. I have 9GB of RAM on mine.

You will love the dual monitors also. I used to run them on my old machine. Would have my palettes on my 2nd one. Bridge was fantastic on duals also. And of course doing tutorials....where you can have the pdf's or the video on the 2nd monitor, is like being in heaven. No shuffling around at all.

Trust you know that you can set up customized workspaces for CS5 (window>new workspace). I used to have 3 or 4 of them set up differently and named differently-selected whichever on I needed depending on what I was doing. Made things real simple.

Sounds like you will be having a lot of fun with your new set up! Life is good! Enjoy~
    Doris
    CC 2014, PSE 12, Nikon D90
    Windows 7 (64bit), Laptop Windows 8 (64bit), Internet Explorer

Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by mcmama View Post
    ETA: I felt so guilty for doing the second monitor for home especially 2 23 inch monitors, but I think I am going to love having that. We'll see how it goes!
    I LOVE having dual monitors. I felt a little extravagant at first when I set it up, but I can't imagine not having them now. Makes it so much easier to have elements/papers/pictures/tutorials on one screen and PSE on the other. Enjoy!
    Firefox
    Sony NEX 5N

Classes: Let's Scrap Class (2010), Easy Page Design 1 & 2, All About You, Get Organized Now, Power Scrapbooking, Art of Blending, plus a few others....
    http://digitalscrapper.com/forums/ga...ername=loretta**************************
    My Gallery

Dual monitors are really helpful! Especially if you're watching Premier videos on one and working along with them on another. I also like having all the contents of a kit open on one, and my working PSD on the other.

SO convenient!

Wow... TWO 23" monitors?! You must feel like you're running Missions Control...
    Jan Walker

Jan's Digital Scrapper Gallery

Creative Teams:
    Digital Scrapbook Artisan Guild
    E-Scape and Scrap
    Studio Manu at Scrapbook Graphics

6. Default

LOL, thanks ladies! It is reassuring. Jan, I think it will feel like mission control when I get them. The one monitor came as an incentive with the system. Then they had the same monitor as the weekly deal this week for $100 off. I thought for that price, it would be a good time to get a second monitor. Thanks Doris for the tip on the workspaces. I have set up a workspace but didn't even think of setting up multiple ones for different things. I will have to look at that. It is going to be so different. I am used to working on one 17" monitor and since I generally scrap 24x12, I see a small little picture of what I am working on.

Jodi

7. Default

Congrats on your new computer! It is always so exciting to get a new one!!
    Joanne
    Windows 7
    Window Internet Exployer
    CS5.1
    Bridge
    Nikon d5000 & FugiFinepix Point & Shoot
    Classes: Lets Scrap , EasypageDesign & Get Organized classes and more

MY ScrappersGuide Galleryhttp://www.scrappersguide.com/forums...00&ppuser=6316
    My Blog
    365 Photowalk Blog

8. Default

I got a shipping notice for my computer and a delivery notice for my monitors yesterday. Unfortunately, I wasn't at home to receive the monitors. Since we don't have mail on Saturdays in Canada, I have to wait until Monday. Hoepfully my dh can pick them up then. I leave town on Tuesday so won't get a chance to try them out but I get me meet my new niece born last Saturday. So I will enjoy that, and my computer should be here for when I get back. The tax deadline is Monday too, so it wil be wonderful to have a few days off. Yeah!

Jodi

9. Default

My computer and monitors are here! I had one monitor for a couple of days and was thinking it was plenty big since it is twice the size of my old monitor but the second one arrived and I set that up. wow! I feel like I may have been extravagant on this purchase and my parents will definitely say something but it sure is neat. As suggested above, I have moved all my toolbars on to the second monitor and have ACDSee taking up about 3/4 of the second screen. I can watch my lessons in acdsee so I usually do that. ACDSee is harder to transfer to a new computer so I have to do some work on set up. All my categories for my lessons did not transfer but all my categories for pictures and scrapbooking supplies did so hopefully it won't take too long to retag the videos.

Interesting, I opened a file on m old computer and cs5 had an efficiency of 45%, on the new computer is is 100%. So definite improvement. We will see how it goes once I get scrapping. Right now I am still installing programs and getting set up. Lots of work to do! I am still expecting a second hard drive to arrive. Its sole purpose is to be used as a scratch drive for cs5. Hopefully it won't be too hard to install.

Jodi

Hi Jodi ..

Oh it all sounds so exciting ... and your new computer really is going to be great to use

Wendy
    Computer: Mainly Macs with OSX
    Browser: Camino, Firefox & Safari
    Photoshop & Elements: CS5 Design Suite, CS3 & Most Versions of Elements.

My Gallery here
    Wendy's World at PET
    Check out My Blog