Digital Scrapper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Making a Simple Clipping Mask using Photoshop

Susann asked how to make a clipping mask so I though I would do a simple tutorial to show how it is done.

Open a photo

Double click on the background layer in the layers palette to change it from a background layer to a normal layer.

Create a new layer Layer>New Layer, call it "Simple Clipping Mask" and then fill the layer with White using Edit>Fill.

Now get the Rectangular Marquee Tool and make a Rectangle in the centre (so that the outer area would look like a white frame)

Next do Select>Inverse followed by Edit<Clear, then deselect using Select>Deselect.

Now do Filter>Distort>Wave (I used the settings 5, 105, 198, 24, 37, 100, 100) and click on OK.

Then create a new layer Layer>New Layer, call it "Background" and then fill this layer with white using Edit>Fill.

Next go to the layers palette and drag the "Background" Layer to the bottom of the palette, the "Simple Clipping Mask" Layer just above it and leave the "Photo" Layer at the top.

Then clip the "Photo" Layer to the "Simple Clipping Mask" Layer. To do that click on the "Photo" layer and do Layer>Create Clipping Mask.

... and there you go a simple clipping mask

Do remember that you can do all sorts of other effects to the clipping mask. Try using a feather to vary of opacity of the edge and use other filters on it or use brushes on a layer to create it instead of using a filter ... the possibilites are simply endless.

... and this is just a starting point ... so do remember to experiment and enjoy

Wendy
    PS ... You can do the same thing in Elements but one or two of the commands are slightly different.
    Last edited by Wendy; 08-16-2011 at 08:03 AM.
    Computer: Mainly Macs with OSX
    Browser: Camino, Firefox & Safari
    Photoshop & Elements: CS5 Design Suite, CS3 & Most Versions of Elements.

My Gallery here
    Wendy's World at PET
    Check out My Blog

Very cool! I've made very basic masks, but haven't tried many of the things that you suggest. This will be fun to play with! Thank you! :-)

Do let us see any masks you make

Wendy

My Gallery here
    Wendy's World at PET
    Check out My Blog

And don't forget, in the May Premier, Linda had a great video tutorial on how to create fancy photo masks!
    Jan Walker

Jan's Digital Scrapper Gallery

Creative Teams:
    Digital Scrapbook Artisan Guild
    E-Scape and Scrap
    Studio Manu at Scrapbook Graphics

Yes, that was a great tutorial. Actually, when you reflect back, there have been a lot of them that have had clipping masks in them when you include the monthly tuts, the classes and TOTW's. Think many of us now lay down thoses black shapes now and clip our photos and papers to them and never give it a second thought. Life is good!
    Doris
    CC 2014, PSE 13, Nikon D90
    Windows 7 (64bit), Laptop Windows 8 (64bit), Internet Explorer

Gallery

I suspect that the term Clipping Mask actually confuses people ... in some way they expect it to be a mask (like a layer mask).

... when in fact its just a shape that you clip something else to, and clipping something else to it means that it takes on the shape of the original shape you clipped it to.

So if your shape is a heart and you clip a square paper to it then the paper then takes on the shape of the heart.

Wendy

My Gallery here
    Wendy's World at PET
    Check out My Blog

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
    I suspect that the term Clipping Mask actually confuses people ... in some way they expect it to be a mask (like a layer mask).

... when in fact its just a shape that you clip something else to, and clipping something else to it means that it takes on the shape of the original shape you clipped it to.

So if your shape is a heart and you clip a square paper to it then the paper then takes on the shape of the heart.

Wendy
    Good way to describe that Wendy. I get confused with the term clipping mask so I'm glad you wrote that. I use them all the time but didn't really know the term! And that's after being in several classes now!!
    Firefox
    Sony NEX 5N

Classes: Let's Scrap Class (2010), Easy Page Design 1 & 2, All About You, Get Organized Now, Power Scrapbooking, Art of Blending, plus a few others....
    http://digitalscrapper.com/forums/ga...ername=loretta**************************
    My Gallery

Yes, photo mask is probably a better term... though it could apply to more than just photos...

Our crazy habit and it's wacky terminology...
    Jan Walker

Jan's Digital Scrapper Gallery

Creative Teams:
    Digital Scrapbook Artisan Guild
    E-Scape and Scrap
    Studio Manu at Scrapbook Graphics

Can't wait to try this! Thanks!
    ~Sue
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Canon 20D and 70D, oh-lala
    Photoshop CS6, Elements 8
    Pixma MX882, Epson Photo R1900

Windows 7-64bit Pro and Ultimate
    Google Chrome and Firefox
    Classes: Fix Photos Fast!, Savvy Stasher, Power Scrapbooking, Little Known Secrets, PHOTOSHOP CS4-6, Get Organized Now, Easy Page Design 2, Digi Cards 101, Custom Shadow Mastery 1, 20 Terrific Type Tutorials
    Premier Member since 2005

Hi Sue ..

Do let us see what you make

Wendy

My Gallery here
    Wendy's World at PET
    Check out My Blog