Digital Scrapper

Thread: Beginner dslr

1. Default Beginner dslr

I've been thinking about making the jump from a P&S to DSLR for at least a year but I've never owned anything more than a basic P&S and I'm feeling a little intimidated. I have been doing a bit of research and really like Canon's EOS Rebel T3i

Is that too much camera for a beginner? Any suggestions?

I'm also curious if anyone has experience with actually shooting video on a DSLR. How is it different from a video camera?
    Angie Seamons
    PS CS5
    Windows 7
    Chrome

I helped a friend purchase one of these at Christmas for his wife. It's a very nice camera and I see no problem with you being able to use it. Just remember the camera's manuel is your friend and it will take a little time figuring out what all those buttons and knobs are for.
    I've never shot video, my camera doesn't have it, so I can't help you there.
    Nikon D60 and Nikon D700
    PSE 12
    Windows 7, Internet Explorer 8

My Gallery

Creative Team
    Digital Scrapper

Too much camera for a beginner?! LOL

Well, no... not if that beginner has big dreams! Sounds like you're considering a very nice piece of equipment. The challenge now is learning to use it to its fullest potential.

As Connie said, the manual is the place to start. But I also recommend looking for books and videos about using your particular camera model that will help you get up and running quickly. It's all too easy to just set the camera on Auto mode and forget about it. That just makes your camera a really expensive point-and-shoot!

As for video, my Nikon shoots high definition video and it looks great! The newer DSLRs have really got some nice video capabilities. It may feel different in your hand than a traditional video camera, but you'll get used to it. And you should use a tripod for shooting video whenever you can, anyway, so it's kind of hard to mess up either way.

Let us know if you take the plunge!
    Jan Walker

Jan's Digital Scrapper Gallery

Creative Teams:
    Digital Scrapbook Artisan Guild
    E-Scape and Scrap
    Studio Manu at Scrapbook Graphics