Digital Scrapper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Photoshop elements 10 freezing / not responding

Have been using PSE10 for a couple months and it has occasionally frozen on me but would close and restart and it would be fine. Last night it started doing this and after restarting it was still doing it. It seemed like whatever i tried to do, i kept getting the hourglass and it was taking forever to respond. I shut it down completely.

Today after doing "disk cleanup" I started using it again with mixed results; this is what seems to be happening: working with elements and pictures is ok - no hourglass, but doing anything with type/fonts is giving me the hourglass and a message "rendering type".

On this page I am working on I used "20 terrific type tutorial" #2 Title Stroke. The file size of the page is not excessive (95 MB).

Any tips and/or solutions to this irritating problem would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, Charlene
    Char8182
    PSE-11 (love this version!)
    Win 8
    Internet Explorer

Have you added any new fonts recently? You might try deleting those fonts (which will also then require a reboot to your computer), then working with PS again.
    Darcy Baldwin
    Digital Scrapper Forum Director
    Fontographer
    darcy@digitalscrapper.com
    {my gallery} {my blog}{my shop}

Whenever things start acting wacky, close the program. Upon starting it up again, reset your preferences.

Hold down the Alt + Ctrl + Shift keys as you click on the icon to open Elements. When asked if you want to delete the preferences, say yes.

Hopefully that will help. If not, let us know. It usually cures about anything. Enjoy~
    Doris
    CC 2014, PSE 12, Nikon D90
    Windows 7 (64bit), Laptop Windows 8 (64bit), Internet Explorer

Gallery

Other random thoughts if ctrl-alt-shift doesn't fix it...

How much free disk space do you have? (In Windows Explorer, right click on your "C:" drive and choose "Properties.") PSE uses "scratch disk" space on your hard drive, and if there isn't much it can really slow PSE down. You may need to free up more disk space.

There are also some licensing issues that seem to randomly shut down PSE. See here for details.

Finally, an uninstall (making sure you go to Help->Deactivate first), reboot, reinstall (disabling your antivirus software during this process) can sometimes fix it. Unfortunately, you'll have to reinstall any actions or layer styles that you have installed for PSE if you do this, but the good news is the Organizer files will stay intact.
    -Trish

PSE 9.0, 10.0, 11.0 and CS5, CS6 on Vista and Windows 7; IMatch for Organizing Photos
    Nikon D50 (dSLR), Nikon 560 (point and shoot)
    My Gallery

Hi Ladies, thanks for the responses. I will try the suggestions. Trish, I have about 86 gig free on drive c - is that enough?
    Char8182
    Win 8
    Internet Explorer

We live in a country village just outside Hamilton.

I'm having the same problem so was pleased to read the solutions the team put up, I also have a problem where a notice comes up telling me I can no further have the use of the organizer as it isn't licenced it has been since I bought the programme. The only solution for this has been for me to reinstall it and it's a pain as then I have to also reinstall the extras like Scrappers Guide yummy metal which I use quite often.
    Therese
    Photoshop Elements 9
    Windows
    Windows 7
    Google Chrome

Hi, just an update on my problem with this. It appears that there is something I have done with the particular page i was working on. I didn't want to reinstall the software so I thought i would try a couple of other pages (one I had previously started and then a completely new one) and have not had any problems with them. Its only when I go back to my problem page. I am going to work on it again this weekend -- might try moving the elements and type to a new page and see if i can duplicate the error and isolate what might be causing it.

thanks, Charlene
    Char8182
    Win 8
    Internet Explorer

Charlene - if it's that particular page, it might be the font. Some fonts get corrupted and can cause PS to shut down. If you can delete the font you were working with before you load that page back into PS, and it then works - you just need to toss the font.
    Darcy Baldwin
    Fontographer

Darcy, it was the font, "rudiment". I deleted it and the page was fine. Re-downloaded the font, but it still gave me trouble so deleted again. I really liked the font....sigh.
    Char8182
    Win 8
    Internet Explorer

Sorry about that, Char - sometimes it happens
    Darcy Baldwin
    Fontographer