With the launch of Adobe Photoshop Elements 11, a great new feature became available to users. That would be the Actions panel… at long last.
I love to avoid any and all repetitive and tedious tasks. This includes ironing, dusting, and setting up new documents. At least I can eliminate one of these. Anyone know how to avoid the first two? Get a maid, you say? Going to have to talk to hubby about that…
Rather than going through the motions of choosing a page size, resolution, and background every time I want to begin scrapping, I created an action to do that for me.
In this tutorial, I’m going to show you how to load and use an action. I’ve included the free “New Scrapbook Document” action set.
Tutorial:This complete Digi Scrap Tutorial is available to our Digital Scrapper Premier Members. If you’re a member, please take a moment to log in, then just come back here and refresh this page. Not a Premier Member? Find out more information here.
In the set, you will find three actions. The first one will create a 12in x 12in 300ppi document with a white background. The second one will create the same document with Guides and the third one will create an 8.5in x 11in 300ppi document w/Guides. In both sizes, the Guides are set to illustrate the “rule of thirds”.
Step One: Download and Save the Action Set
- After downloading the “New Scrapbook Document” action set, you should save it where you know you can easily find it later. I have a folder that I’ve named “My Custom Actions”. You could create a folder called “Free Actions” or “Downloaded Actions”.
Step Two: Load the Action Set
- In Photoshop Elements 11 you must be in Expert Mode.
- In the Menu Bar, choose Window > Actions to open the Actions panel.
- In the Actions panel, open the drop-down menu and choose Load > Actions.
- Navigate to the folder where you saved the action set. Click on the “New Scrapbook Document” action and click Load.
Step Three: Run the Action
- When you look at all the available actions in the Actions panel, you will see a new folder (or Set) called “New Scrapbook Document”. It will be the last one on the list. Inside it you will find three actions: one named “12inx12in”, another one named “12inx12in w/Guides”, and one named “8.5inx11in w/Guides.”
- Choose an action and click on the Play Selection icon in the Actions panel.
- Your new document will be created and you are on your way!
Digi Scrap Tutorial: Take Action! Use Actions to Simplify Your Workflow by Barb Brookbank
Action Set: New Scrapbook Document by Barb Brookbank