I’m always thinking of ways to stretch my scrapbooking stash. So when I look at an element in a kit, I try to imagine how I could tweak it to better suit my scrapbook page.
I love little scatters or sprays of beads, hearts, leaves, and flowers. I usually add them to my page just the way they are, but they can be a source of some surprising and fun shapes.
Today I’m going to show you how to use a scatter in a completely different way—using the Clone Stamp tool!
Step One: Prepare the Workspace
- Open a scrapbook page (File > Open) and a scatter that you want to use. I’m using the Mini Scatter from ‘Vagabond’ by One Little Bird, previously available with the Costco PSE 10 CD.
- In the Menu Bar, choose Window > Images > Tile. (Photoshop: choose Window > Arrange > Tile All Vertically).
Step Two: Set the Options for the Clone Stamp Tool
- Get the Clone Stamp tool.
- In the Tool Options choose a hard round brush from the Brush Picker.
- Set the Size to 125 px, the Opacity to 100%, and the Mode to Normal.
- Most scatters will be on a transparent background, but if you are using a scatter that is on a layered document, you will have to uncheck Sample All Layers. (Photoshop: set Sample to Current Layer.)
- Open the Clone Overlay settings. Make sure Show Overlay is unchecked. (Photoshop: choose Window > Clone Source to open the Clone Overlay settings.)
Step Three: Clone the Flower
- Make the scatter the active document.
- Place the brush over one flower, making sure that no other flower is inside the circle. (Use the Left or Right Bracket keys to decrease or increase the size of the brush.)
- Press the Alt key (Mac: Option key) and click on the flower.
Step Four: Paint the Flower to the Scrapbook Page
- Make the scrapbook page the active document.
- In the Layers panel, click on the top layer to activate it.
- Click on the Create a New Layer icon in the Layers panel.
- Place the brush where you want the flower to land and click once. Your flower will appear. Because you have placed the flower on its own layer you will have the option to move it, change the size, and add a drop shadow.
- Repeat the above steps, making sure to put each flower on its own layer.
Digi Scrap Tutorial: The Clone Stamp Tool—Copy Pixels from Document to Document by Barb Brookbank
Layout: Live for the Moment by Barb Brookbank
Background Paper and Scatter: Vagabond Mini Kit by One Little Bird, previously available with the Costco CD (PSE 10)
Frame: Christmas Lights kit by Julie Billingsley
Wordstrip: Day by Day Mini Kit by Digilicious Designs, previously available with the Costco CD (PSE 10)
Quote: Henry David Thoreau
Font: Bickley Script