Digital Scrapper

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Default Looking at new computers

We have had our computer for 6 years. A couple of years ago, I upgraded it to 3gb of ram and a couple of other parts to get more time out of it. It was worth it but now we are seriously considering getting a new one. I want it to be powerful enough to do well with digital scrapbooking and my dh likes to play some games too. It will be a windows computer since I like to have it available sometimes when I bring work home. (I have to return back to work on Monday, sadly my 1 year mat leave is over). Last time we got a Dell and it has served us well. I noticed the processor types have all changed since the last time we bought so i am a bit confused. We have a pentium using windows xp at the moment. Usually we try to get something good since we don't replace computers very often and since we have 3 kids, we have now started to pass down our older computers to the kids. Does anyone had the intel i5 and i7 computers and what would you recommend. I think the i5 would likely do what we need but I wonder since we do tend to wait if it would be better to put in the extra for the i7. I definitely will make sure there is lots of ram and a decent video card. The extras do add up fast though, don't they!

Jodi
    Jodi, mom of now three beautiful boys
    Took the plunge with Creative Cloud, also have CS5.1
    AcdSee Pro 6 for organizing kits, photos, lessons... - works so well!
    Windows 7, 64 bit, I7-2600 cpu

That decent video card probably will be the most expensive part of your new computer.lolollo But if your hubby is a gamer he definately will want a better card than the one that comes with the computer!
    Joanne
    Windows 7
    Window Internet Exployer
    CS5.1
    Bridge
    Nikon d5000 & FugiFinepix Point & Shoot
    Classes: Lets Scrap , EasypageDesign & Get Organized classes and more

MY ScrappersGuide Galleryhttp://www.scrappersguide.com/forums...00&ppuser=6316
    My Blog
    365 Photowalk Blog

I really like my ASUS that I got last summer. They were originally designed for gamers so they do really well with graphics. We had bought a Dell but it was a major lemon, so we were able to exchange it and got the ASUS. Best Buy told us that since Dell has gone public market, they're not quite the computer that they used to be as they are so mass marketed. Just for you FYI. Go for a lot of ram 'cause I think PSE takes a lot. I went from XP to Win7 and have really like it.
    Firefox
    Sony NEX 5N

Classes: Let's Scrap Class (2010), Easy Page Design 1 & 2, All About You, Get Organized Now, Power Scrapbooking, Art of Blending, plus a few others....
    http://digitalscrapper.com/forums/ga...ername=loretta**************************
    My Gallery

I have a XPS Dell & I love it. Had it for 4+ years now & not one problem. Sorry to hear this news about Dell.
    Joanne
    Windows 7
    Window Internet Exployer
    CS5.1
    Bridge

My Blog
    365 Photowalk Blog

I purchased a new Dell i7, Win7 Ultimate, 64-bit, 6GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive, Studio 1557 laptop last November and had 15 months of battles (14 phone calls to Dell tech-some lasting over 9 hours!) with Dell to fix the thing. It was a living nightmare. I will NEVER purchase another Dell product. After 15 months of trying to get them to honor the 3-year in-home extended warranty I purchased with them, and hiring an independent computer tech to verify all the problems, finally, they replaced the hardware. Now, it works fine. But it certainly was not worth all I had to endure. They lost a customer forever.

I would go with HP or Toshiba at this point in time.
    Last edited by landorasue; 03-06-2011 at 11:24 AM.
    Lana
    PSE 11, ACDSee Pro 7, Epson Artisan 837
    Win7 Home Premium, 64-bit
    , Firefox, IE 10

Canon 60D, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200

Lana's Gallery
    Classes: 10 Photo Techniques * 20 Type Tutorials * Learn Digital Scrapbooking PSE 11 * Get Organized NOW! * Power Scrapbooking * Little Known Secrets of PSE Tools * Help For Heritage Photos * Digi Cards 101 * Creative Inspiration * ABCs of Page Design * Your Story. Brilliant (in progress) * Art of Blending * ClickArtistry-Photo Art Blends * Home Decor & Gifts * Custom Shadow Mastery: Part 1 & Part 2 * Natural Light Photography * The Savvy Stasher * Actions: Fix Photos Fast! *

6. Default

I've used HPs for the last several years and been fairly satisfied. IMHO there's problems with all of them. Check out the prices at Sam's Club or Costco. Look at the machines targeted to gamers, lots of RAM, big hard drive, and upgraded graphics.
    Stephanie
    Photoshop CC, Mac OSX & Windows Vista, Safari & IE, Canon EOS 5d Mark III & Lumix 5
    Steph's PSE Gallery
    Steph's Digital Scrapper Gallery

Gaming machines costs alot more.
    Joanne
    Windows 7
    Window Internet Exployer
    CS5.1
    Bridge

My Blog
    365 Photowalk Blog

Have you considered a Mac? Easy to use. Great tech support. No need to worry about viruses. Great reliability. With my 27" iMac I can have two pages side by side. Of course the laptop Macs are great for portability.
    Pam
    Mac OSX
    PSE11 CS5
    Safari
    Pixma iP4500
    DEVONthink Pro for organizing
    Inspiration 9 for Brainstorming

I've always had good service from HP machines. But of course a Mac would be nice... much more expensive, totally different operating system, etc.

My best advice is to get as big a hard drive and as much RAM as you can.
    Jan Walker

Jan's Digital Scrapper Gallery

Creative Teams:
    Digital Scrapbook Artisan Guild
    E-Scape and Scrap
    Studio Manu at Scrapbook Graphics

10. Default

Thanks everyone! I might ask our computer techs at work too. I want to be able to install my work profane etc so I think it is best I go with a pc right now. My Dad has a Mac so I got him the Mac version of pse which have yet to install. Once tax season is over, I need to sit down with him and make more decisions. I definitely need more ram than I do now. CS5 crashes sometimes on my computer right now but doing the same things works fine in pse. I swap between the two depending on what I'm doing.

Jodi
    Jodi, mom of now three beautiful boys
    Took the plunge with Creative Cloud, also have CS5.1
    AcdSee Pro 6 for organizing kits, photos, lessons... - works so well!
    Windows 7, 64 bit, I7-2600 cpu